Thursday, July 19, 2012

Never Miss Out On a Good Time Because of a Little Self-Respect




For me the funniest bit was when I said the first time I masturbated was May 15th at 3AM.  Some one in the audience went, "Seriously?"  At the time I thought she reacted to the fact that I knew the exact time and date(which I really don't).

Watching the video, I now realize she said, "seriously" because I forgot to say May 15th of what year!  She probably thought I meant last May 15th.  I'll either have to correct that or use it.

I hope no one judges this set on crowd response.  There were maybe ten people in the bar at the time of my performance.  Once upon a time, performing for a crowd that size would have made me more nervous than playing to a crowd of fifty or a hundred people.

Lately, I've been feeling the honey badger-like apathy toward getting laughs.  A lot of people don't laugh at my material.  A LOT!  Some boo, some cringe, some scowl.

No one looks bored.  No one ignores.

I'll take that.

Oh, and speaking of honey badgers.  You remember when I did that set about a friend of mine who was suffering from breast cancer.  Of course, you don't.  No one saw that.  Well, here it is again.

I would just like to say that my friend, who has been nicknamed the Honey Badger ('cause, in case you hadn't heard, the Honey Badger just don't give a FUUUUUUCK!), is no longer a breast cancer victim, but a breast cancer SURVIVOR.

She had her surgery this past Monday and is now cancer free.  Two hours after her surgery she woke from her drugged-out, post-op haze just long enough to flash a crowd of friends and family a doofy two thumbs up and a big shit eating grin before passing out again.

I know people say this all the time, but after the last seven months of hell that girl has been through, watching her smile like that at that exact moment...well, you really, really just had to be there.

Thank you for getting through this, HB.  The world is so much more interesting with you in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment